Two Reasons to Breathe Easier this September
Happy September! Some of us may not be feeling it quite yet, but we know fall is already in the air. This month, we have two noteworthy celebrations that have some very real similarities. First, the United Nations has designated September 7th as the International Day of Clean Air. Amid a global pandemic, the likes of which we have never seen, this year’s theme is “healthy air, healthy planet.” The United Nations has stated, “This year’s focus is on prioritizing the need for healthy air for all, while keeping the conversation broad enough to encompass other critical issues such as climate change, human and planetary health as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.”
September is also Self-Care Awareness Month – a great reminder that taking care of ourselves, right down to the air we breathe, is essential not only to our well-being but to our ability to thrive as we journey along this path we call life. While too often neglected in our busier than ever lives, especially as we tend to put the needs of others before our own, self-care is crucial. This month let’s try to form some new habits that are all about nourishing a healthier, more productive version of ourselves. We must remember as we do so though that doing for ourselves if not self-serving or selfish, but rather, essential. We can incorporate small steps into our daily lives – showing more kindness to others, practicing gratitude, eating cleaner, exercising more, enjoying nature, even taking a conscious breath in the morning before we start our days. And when we take that breath, we want to make sure we are inhaling clean air into our lungs.
Tips for Keeping Indoor Air Clean
While we cannot control the air outside, there is much we can do to improve the quality of the air inside. Here are a few helpful tips to get started:
- Replace chemical-based cleaners, detergents, and air fresheners with naturally based ones. Remember, Norwex provides environmentally friendly cleaning products to reduce chemicals in our homes.
- Reduce dander. If you have pets, keep them groomed and clean. Remove excess fur from the pet, as well as furniture and carpets. Norwex also offers safe pet products, including the Norwex Pet Towel and Norwex Pet Mitt.
- Remove your shoes at the door. Reducing indoor pollutants starts at the entrance to your home. When we wear our shoes into the house, we bring in not only dirt, but pollen, bacteria, and pesticides – all better left outside. Using Norwex’s Entry Mat can also help protect your home.
- Work on your green thumb. Houseplants can actually help improve your air quality by filtering out some harmful particles.
- Use an air purifier – at a reduced cost. Our friends at Nikken are celebrating International Day of Clean Air the entire month of September! To support the global effort for “healthy air, healthy planet,” Nikken is offering two specials on its KenkoAir Purifier (KAP) through September 30th:
- For the price of one KAP, get a KAP plus a HEPA replacement filter. SKU 4445
- Purchase KAP HEPA replacement filters with 20% off. SKU 1445
Due to the KenkoAir Purifier’s multistage filtration process, it effectively cleans the air by capturing particles, neutralizing odors, and removing even the smallest fragments, with up to 99.97% efficiency.
As you can probably imagine, there are many benefits to breathing cleaner air, but you may not be aware of some of the less obvious ones. For example, having cleaner lungs to function better and reducing allergies and asthma seem intuitive, but how about improved digestion and moods? While you might not think about digestion when it comes to breathing, the fact is that a healthy respiratory system is important to sustain a healthy digestive system. Oxygen helps the muscles in the digestive tract break up food and then move it through the digestive system. Additionally, oxygen intake has a direct correlation with serotonin, the neurotransmitter that regulates our mood and anxiety levels.
Remember maximizing exposure to clean air is a great start in your self-care journey. And a better connection to the clean air you breathe is a better connection to you. For more information about clean air benefits, schedule a call or visit my website. As always, I’d be happy to help guide you along your wellness path.
#DevelopHealthyHabitsNow #Norwex #Nikken #KenkoAirPurifier #SmallChangeBigDifference #HealthandWellness #InternationalDayofCleanAir #cleanair #SelfCareAwarenessMonth #selflove #selfcarechallenge #evolvetolive