Eat Clean to Celebrate Earth Day
On April 22nd, we celebrate Earth Day. At its foundation, Earth Day is about activating, educating, and diversifying the environmental movement around the world. Since 1970, there have been over 75,000 partners in at least 190 countries combining their efforts to achieve real, transformational change. This collective energy inspired action and resulted in (and continues to result in) creative, innovative solutions. And as with any impactful, collaborative movement, accountability at all levels—from governments to the private sector to individuals is necessary.
That’s where we can truly make a difference. We have power and influence not only to effectuate change on the outside by way of our votes and shopping choices, but on the inside through the choices we make that directly, or even indirectly, affect our own health and wellness.
Each year, Earth Day is supported by a specific theme. The 2021 theme is “Restore our Earth,” and I can’t think of a better way to do that than to “Restore our Bodies.” So, this month, we’re focusing on one of the most effective methods of doing exactly that – clean eating.
Clean Eating Benefits
Clean Eating is a crucial part of an overall healthy lifestyle. It is neither a diet, nor a fad or trend. In its simplest terms, it’s a lifestyle change. It isn’t about the quantity of food you eat. Rather, it is about the quality of the food and drink you choose to ingest. It’s no surprise that we need nutrients to fuel our bodies, and that they can only be found in certain types of foods.
The benefits of clean eating are as varied as the rainbow of colors of the fruits and vegetables we eat. Everyone safely assumes it will result in improved health, but few realize to the staggering extent it does so. Physically, it improves your digestive and cardiovascular systems, reduces the risk of certain cancers, boosts weight loss, and builds stronger bones and teeth. Mentally and emotionally, clean eating improves your mood, provides for better sleep, improves memory, and boosts your energy. These are just a few of the many benefits of choosing a clean eating lifestyle.
Eating clean doesn’t require you to be a nutritionist. In fact, there are easy to follow principles that can help even beginners learn to eat their way to a much healthier, more energetic lifestyle.
The Eat-Clean principles include:
- Eating six small meals a day.
- Having breakfast daily, within an hour of waking up.
- Drinking two to three liters of water daily.
- Eating lean protein and complex carbohydrates at every meal.
- Including two to three servings of healthy fats daily.
- Getting fiber, vitamins, nutrients, and enzymes from fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Controlling portions.
The principles also include foods and beverages to avoid, including:
- Overprocessed foods, especially white flour and sugar
- Artificial sweeteners
- Sugary beverages (soda and juice)
- Foods with chemical additives and/or preservatives
- Artificial foods and calorie-dense foods with no nutritional value
- Saturated fats and trans fats
Just as with anything that operates, your body needs energy to function at its top capacity. Clean eating, along with exercise, water, sunlight, and proper sleep provide the fuel for that energy. One additional energy source we literally have right at our feet is the Earth itself. Direct contact with dirt, grass, or sand provides us with natural energy to help restore our own health. How’s that for a connection to Mother Nature?
Take Clean Action and Reap the Benefits
What are some things you can do to help develop a clean eating lifestyle and make significant changes as you connect to, and restore, your body and the Earth? Here are a few tips:
- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Most of the foods you need to be eating – fruits, vegetables, meat, fish – are found around the edges of the store.
- Read labels. A good rule of thumb – avoid foods where you cannot pronounce the ingredients.
- Prepare and cook your meals. Only then can you be assured as to what you are putting in your pots and pans and subsequently into your body.
- Change something in your daily routine. Reduce consumption, walk or bike to your destination, or turn the faucet off while you brush your teeth. Even small changes can make a big difference.
- Explore grounding as an energy source. Grounding leads to active wellness and a connection to the Earth. Take a walk outside barefoot, or try the KenkoGround and connect with the Earth as you work, or even sleep, inside your house.
We are all connected to ourselves (mind, body, and spirit), to each other, and to the world around us. So, this #NationalEarthDay, remember to strengthen those connections in as many ways as possible. Make a commitment to yourself to take better care of your body through clean eating. Simply controlling what you put into your body will help control what you get out of it.
Eating clean aligns your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Better connection to you is a better connection to the world around you. For more information about clean living, schedule a call and download your free guide. I’d be happy to help guide you along your path to an even better version of yourself.
#NationalEarthDay #RestoreourEarth #RestoreourBodies #CleanEating #EattheRainbow #Grounding #KenkoGround #Nikken #HealthandWellness #Connection